ATLANTIC — Produce in the Park is excited to welcome live music back to the park this week. Governor Reynolds is allowing farmers markets to offer entertainment, as long as markets ensure attendees are safely distanced. According to Market Manager, Brigham Hoegh, market attendees have been doing a great job of wearing masks and distancing, and the market is excited to welcome Sarah Selders to the park June 25. Market attendees are asked to bring their own blankets or lawn chairs, so they can spread out, relax, and enjoy the music.
This week, the market is also hosting two photo competitions. Share a picture of your pet or home garden with Produce in the Park to be entered to win a bag of pet treats or plants for your home garden. Photos can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or shared on social media. Photos can be shared on the Produce in the Park; Facebook Page @ProduceInThePark, or hashtagged on Instagram #PetsAndPlantsPiP2020. Photos must be shared by 11 p.m. Tuesday to be entered in the drawing.
This Week’s Featured Products and Recipes
• Produce: Strawberries, snap peas, rhubarb, radishes, green onions, turnips, and garlic scapes.
• Farm foods: Syrups, meat, honey, fruit butters, jams, and granola.
• Your garden:
- Vegetable plants: Broccoli, arugula, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, and cabbage.
- Herbs: Sage, parsley, basil, spearmint, cilantro, and oregano.
- Flower plants: Hanging plants, marigolds, primrose, milkweed, and ageratum.
• Your pets: Speciality dog and cat supplies.
from Brun Ko Farm
- Sauce: 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp chicken stock, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1.5 tbsp molasses, 1 tbsp sriracha, 3 tbsp soy sauce, and 1.5 tsp cornstarch.
- Other: 1-2 pork steak, salt and pepper, 2 tbsp cooking oil, 3 cups rice (prepared), 2 garlic scapes or cloves, 2 yellow peppers, 4 carrots, 8-10 asparagus spears, and microgreens.
1. Slice or cube carrots, peppers, and asparagus (set aside).
2. Prepare rice according to package.
3. Season pork steak with salt and pepper and place in hot skillet with cooking oil (use a skillet large enough to accommodate veggies and rice too). Cook steak on medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side — use a thermometer to check for doneness. Pork should be cooked to 160F.
4. While pork is cooking, mix together all sauce ingredients and cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken. Stir frequently. Once pork is done, set aside to rest and cool enough to handle.
5. Chop garlic scapes and place in skillet with the pan juices. Add carrots and cook on medium heat for a few minutes while you slice the pork steaks thinly.
6. Add peppers and asparagus to skillet.
7. Once all veggies are tender, add meat, rice and stir fry sauce to skillet and mix well.
8. Serve warm, topped with microgreens.
- Veggies can be substituted for whatever is in season. Other great options include broccoli, snow peas, green beans, radishes, brussel sprouts, and spinach.
- Can substitute noodles for rice.
- Could also use beef steak, stew meat, or pork chops. In a pinch, you could even use ground beef or pork.
Produce in the Park’s online store is open weekly from Sunday afternoon through Tuesday at 11 p.m. Customers who order online can drive-through pick-up at the park on Thursday between 3:40 and 6 p.m. The online store can be found at www.produceintheparkatlanticiowa.com or by visiting @ProduceInThePark on Facebook. This new purchasing option allows customers to spend time browsing items and pick up purchases without coming into contact with other customers. This feature is being implemented to help customers keep distance during COVID-19.
Produce in the Park is requesting customers’ patience and support in keeping the market as safe as possible for all customers and vendors.
• If you are ill or have been in the past three days, please do not attend the market.
• Please maintain 6 foot distance from vendors and other customers.
• Please do not handle products. Point to what item you would like, and the vendor will select and bag for you.
• Masks are strongly encouraged.
Produce in the Park Dates and Times:
• Produce in the Park is open Thursdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Atlantic City Park, 10 West Seventh Street. From June 4 through Sept. 24.
• Pre-market drive-up shopping is available for at-risk customers from 3:45-4:30 p.m. During this time, customers at high risk of COVID-19, who are unable to shop online, can drive through the market and pay with cash or check without leaving their vehicles. This service is offered first come first served.
Sponsor Thank You:
Thank you to 2020 June sponsors First Whitney Bank and Trust.
Contact Produce in the Park:
Facebook: @ProduceInThePark https://www.facebook.com/ProduceInThePark/